There’s only a small window of time to go fig picking every year, so Callum heads to the Willabrand Orchard in the hills, the moment they are ready. Located on Glen Ewin Estate, he meets up with Willa, who shows him the art of fig picking amongst the rows of 12,000 trees. With his bounty, Callum shows us how to make a delicious fig, walnut and blue-cheese salad. He finishes the day enjoying a refreshing fig gin made from figs from the estate.
Fig, Hazelnut and Blue Cheese Salad
Half a dozen figs, quartered
Red cabbage, thinly shredded
Hazelnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
Kalamata olives, pipped and halved
Blue cheese, crumbled
Pinch of salt
* Grate the zest of one lemon, and then it’s juice, into a small bowl.
* Add about twice as much olive oil, a pinch of salt and a generous splash of gin.
* Place rocket, cabbage and figs in another bowl, and pour the vinaigrette over top.
* Gently combine and then spoon onto a serving dish.
* Sprinkle with hazelnuts, olives and blue cheese.